Face Mask Pattern
Feel free to share this pattern with your friends
I used Moda cotton fabric
(1) 7" x 14" outer layer fabric
(1) 7" x 14" lining layer fabric
(2) 12" pieces of thin elastic (cord or flat-woven)
- Take the two pieces of fabric you have chosen. It is best to use two different fabrics so you know which is the inside and the outside of the mask
- Fold your two pieces of fabric in half and then pin the pattern to them with straight edge in line with grain of fabric.
- Cut around the pattern piece this will give you two pieces for the outer layer and two for the inner.
- Take the two outer layer pieces and place them right sides together. Seam using ¼ inch allowance along the curved edge. Repeat for the lining.
- Snip into the seam just sewn about halfway into the allowance.
- Pin the outer layer and lining right sides together, mating the edges and centre seams.
- Sew around the mask leaving a gap measuring about 1 ½ inches long in the bottom edge, so that you can turn the mask out.
- Snip across the corner seam allowance make sure you do not cut into the stitching.
- Turn the mask right side out, use the end of some tweezers or pencil to push the corners until they are sharp.
- Finger press the raw edges of the unsewn seam in to match the rest of the seam.
- Topstitch all round the mask about 1/8 th of an inch from the edge of the mask.
- Fold over and sew the ends of the mask to form a channel for the elastic.
- Take the pieces of elastic and thread on through each of the channels. Tie them off and thread the knot into the channel.
- Your mask is finished
- The cotton is washable at 60 degrees which is the recommendation for killing Covid 19 virus
Debs Fabrics June 2020